Monday, July 16, 2012

Touched by Cyn Balog Review



Date to-be Published: August 14, 2012

Add it on Goodreads

Buy it on Amazon or B&N

Number of Pages: 320

Publisher: Delacorte Press

First Thoughts:

I was so excited to get my hands on this book; I’ve read all the other books by this author and just loved her creative and beautiful stories. So I started this book with an open mind and excitement. I really enjoyed the creative aspect to this book; I found that it wasn’t mundane or unoriginal. In fact it took me a little bit for me to get used to the concept and format of the book. And once I adjusted to the world I was really able to connect with it and experience it through the character. This was an intense and fun story. One thing I love about this author is that her books are able to capture a great story with just one book, there’s none of that waiting and drawn out plot; nope this author is a whiz on creating exciting and fun filled stories. And this book was no exception.

Plot:

This was no walk in the park kind of book, it was full of tricks and illusions, and it really reminded me of a boardwalk carnival; minus the intense rides and clowns. But the way the world was painted in all of these different kinds of illusions and the overlapping of realities. The amazing thing was that after I got adjusted on how the story was constructed I really didn’t have that much trouble understanding what was happening in each scene. I was able to really understand how the characters power worked and how much of a burden it really was. It really did kind of teach me a lesson; like it’s best to just live in the moment. And the concept of being able to see into the future but its limited seemed more realistic compared to other versions of this power. I really enjoyed the structure of the plot, it was filled with a few sub-plots and plenty of conflict, and it really kept the reader interested throughout the entity of the book. And the end was really well created, I found that everything was concluded and I was left satisfied and content even though I never saw the ending coming. The author was clever enough to keep some of the ideas and rules of the world covered and you didn’t know what was coming until it was right there in front of you and I guess that’s what made the ending so epic and unpredictable…And as far as the pace it was pretty quick, there were some slower moments in the book but they didn’t seem to drag or hold the story back. So overall I really enjoyed the plot and concept of this book.

Romance:

There was a little romance in this book but it was in no way overwhelming or weird. It was more of a sub-plot and put on the back burner at times. But the romance was there and added some texture to the world and conflict. It was different too, it wasn’t like fall in love and ride into the sunset, it was more of a complicated love filled with plenty of conflict and suspense. So overall yes there was romance but it was the kind where you can enjoy reading about without being overwhelmed.

Characters:

Where do I even begin? There were so many interesting characters in this book, each one was filled with their own mix of personality and had their own role to play. I really enjoyed connecting with Nick; he had such depth to him. Usually I have problems connecting with a male perspective but in this book I didn’t really have any issues. I mean in the beginning it took me awhile to connect because he is a complicated character so I had to get to know him and figure out his ways but when I did I really saw him; I really connected with him. I was able to sympathize and rejoice with him, I got to walk beside him as he took those many walks down his neighborhood streets, I got to know him and that right there allowed me to really enjoy the story. So overall I enjoyed the characters and all that they brought to this story.

Transformation of the Character:

There were a few transformations that took place in this book and they were well created; I didn’t feel that they were rushed or forced. And I really enjoyed Nick’s transformation; it was crafted just right to where it was beautiful to watch….definitely a good aspect to this story.

Description:

I really enjoyed the description in this book; it was well written and placed. I didn’t think there was too much of it either and there wasn’t too little either. And some of the best descriptions in the book were where the author described the scenery; I really got a feel of his neighborhood and city he lived in. It was described just right so that if a person had never been to that city they would get a great feel and taste of it…maybe get them to even want to visit their city. But either way I was able to visualize this story and see what was happening in each scene. And one of the best ways to know if the description was really well written and used is if the author can get the reader to FEEL and this book was able to get me to FEEL for the characters; to understand their line of thinking. I really did enjoy the emotions involved in this story and how well I connected to the character (Nick). As for the dialogue it was good and seemed adequate for this book. So overall this was a really good aspect to the book and added plenty of flavor to this book.

Style:

This was written in one POV and in first person which allowed the reader to better connect to the story and character. And as for the few times where it showed you the near future the author transitioned the reader to where they knew what was happening. So after you got used to the style and structure of the story the reader was really able to get into the book. And as for the authors writing it was just as fun and beautiful to read. It’s like with each book her writing starts to change some; it’s like it’s morphed just a certain way for that story…it’s hard to explain but it’s so cool to see once you read each of her books. So overall I really enjoyed this author’s style.

Quote of the book:

“”I’ve known a lot of guys,” she said, digging her bare toes into the sand. “They all wanted something from me. But not you. You’re different. You’re like my angel.””

Goodreads Summary:

Nick Cross always listens to the voice in his head. Because if he doesn't? Things can go really, really wrong. Like the day he decided to go off script and saved a girl from being run over . . . and let another one drown. Trying to change the future doesn't work.

But this summer at the Jersey Shore, something's about to happen that Nick never could have predicted. He meets a girl named Taryn and finds out about the Book of Touch. Now the path that he thought he was on begins to shift . . . and there's no way to stop things from happening. Or is there?

In a life where there are no surprises, nothing has prepared Nick for what he's about to discover--or the choice he will be forced to make. . . .

Last Thoughts:

I would recommend this to YA and paranormal readers. The concept of the “Touch” is really unique and creative. I enjoyed reading another of Mrs. Balog’s books; she is a very well versed author and knows how to create a story worth reading. I definitely would recommend her books to other readers; I’ll never forget the first book I ever read by her “Fairytale” that book was one of the few books that got me to cry. This author just knows how to get to the reader…in a good way of course.

My Rating:


2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of paranormal YA, so I think I'll be passing this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased you too enjoyed this Lacey. What a well thought out and structured review - I love it! :D

    ReplyDelete