Monday, November 7, 2011

A twisted tale of Death


First thoughts:
This was a book full of mysteriousness and suspense. At times I felt on the edge of my toes, not sure what would become the fate of the character we’ve grown to like. Author of “In the Arms of Stone Angels” has created another beautiful and twisted book that will surely leave you more stunned than none. The concept of death is evident throughout the book, leaving to determine the forms it takes. The characters themselves were created in a way so that the reader could see them as real, each one had a distinct personality but whether you liked them or not were left up to you to decide. The plot was created perfectly; it had the right flow so that you could absorb everything in and then move forward. I liked how the author switched point of views so that we could understand all points of view but still be interconnected. The emotional twists were exhausting, at times I found myself on the verge of tears but death can do that to you, it can pick you up on a high and drop you with a flick of its wrist. I really liked that death was like a personification; it was a living breathing thing in so many things. The symbolism in this story was really cool to read. As for the description it was eerie detailed, at times it got so intense I had to stop and take a break. This is definitely a book a lot of people can connect with. Just by the sheer fact of losing someone you instantly connect with the main character and I think that really helped me like this story so much. The character development really only happened to a few characters but when it happened it really blossomed especially for the main character Abby. I really enjoyed seeing her mind work through hurtles and obstacles, be thrown through a blinder and come out a new person. Though we may have lost some of the old character we gained more of her. As for the foreshadowing if you pay close enough attention you’ll definitely find it, it’s obvious in a sense that allows you to be forewarned yet still proceed through the caution zone. The dialogue was believable but at times a little flat, I thought perhaps some of the characters could have worded things differently but again when talking of death there really isn’t a right way to talk about it is there? This is crafty, dark and twisted, definitely one that will keep me thinking of death as something that is all around me.
Goodreads Summary:
"The choices I had made led to the moment when fate took over. I would learn a lesson I wasn’t prepared for.
And Death would be my willing teacher."

Five years ago Abbey Chandler cheated Death. She survived a horrific car accident, but her lucky break came at the expense of her mother’s life and changed everything. After she crossed paths with Death—by taking the hand of an ethereal boy made of clouds and sky—she would never be normal again.

Now she’s the target of Death’s Ravens and an innocent boy’s life is on the line. When Nate Holden—Abbey’s secret crush—starts to climb Alaska’s Denali, the Angel of Death is with him because of her.

Abbey finds out the hard way that Death never forgets.
Last thoughts:
I definitely enjoyed this book; I liked the twisted ways of the dark and how even through the dark light shone through. I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Jordan Dane and who has a craving to know what death is like. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone who doesn’t appreciate perspectives of death and life and those who find flaws in a characters false attachment to another. It definitely has some parts that will leave an imprint behind and will leave you with yet another perspective on death. Though this didn’t change what I see death as it did bring me with a view I’m willing to consider and add to my stack of possibilities. You should definitely give this book a try if you’ve suffered a great loss and ever wanted a view into the eyes of death. This creative and twisted world is one you won’t soon forget.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I will be adding it to my "to-read" shelf. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, It comes out December 27 this year!

    ReplyDelete